Saturday, March 24, 2012

Vacation!!

I just got back from vacation!  That would explain the lack of posting lately.  Given all the unpacking I have to do I am going to keep this short and sweet.  First I would like to share a picture of where I have been, I think you will all understand why I wish I was still on vacation.
The dogs seem to have had a good time while we were gone.  Friends stayed with them at the house so I think they were much happier than when they were kenneled.  Copley was so incredibly happy to see us when we got back.  I don't think that he ever thought about us NOT coming back, because other people just came to the house and his routine stayed the same.  When we did return though I think it was a surprise because of how long we had been gone.  He wagged his whole butt and was sooo happy, but then he followed me around all night nervously shaking and panting.  As far as I can see this behavior was a combination of two things.  Firstly Copley does not like changes to his world view.  He is totally cool with new objects and people and activities, but if you do something like change his bedtime routine or (shudder) try to change a command to a different word (up to stand comes to mind) he becomes very upset.  Us returning- while happy- was also a change in his worldview and he was awfully upset about that.  The second thing is that I do believe Copley remembers being abandoned.  I just ignored his upset behavior but made sure I stayed home all evening so he could see I wasn't going to leave.  He seemed to return to his normal Copley self by morning.

Now I have to go take a nap- traveling really takes it out of you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is a great view. Now wonder you really had enjoyed your vacation. Your post really made me smile because I remember going on a vacation some past time and left my dog at home. We really had the same experience. Thanks for sharing, I remember a great memory from this post.

    ReplyDelete